40 Beautiful Examples of Bokeh Photography

I’m sure most of you have heard of the term bokeh. Basically it is referring to the aesthetic quality of the blur produced from a shot with shallow depth of field. Determining factors of bokeh are things like lens aberrations and shape of lens aperture.

Bokeh is a very subjective thing. Its hard to say what is “good” bokeh and what is “bad”. In my opinion anything that is less distracting and adds something to the image would be considered good and anything distracting or confusing to the image would be considered bad. Based on that I have gathered some examples of what I think is beautiful bokeh photography.

Petra

Stian Throndsen

shannkat

thewhitestdogalive

Manuela Hoffmann

embr

Beautiful Examples of Bokeh Photography

to Say Something. Say Anything.

Bokehjo

rebeccadk777

Mondo Cardine

Beautiful Examples of Bokeh Photography

Please share your bokeh photography with the TPA Community here.

Get Photography Inspiration Weekly To Your Inbox

Comments

I am new to this kind of photography…This has been a great introduction for me…I love the use of colors and light…I simply adored the blurring of the background effects; this effect gave a new outlook to the image as a whole…thanks for sharing this post…

in bokeh photography we should concentrate more on the subject n the selection of the subject..the more attractive or unusual the subject, it will b more interesting for the viewers to view the pic.. due to the blurred foreground the subject will b focused more..loved the pic AgniMax..

3. Tim says

This isn’t “bokeh”. Bokeh is the QUALITY and PROPERTIES of the blur effect. Quit talking about it like bokeh is the effect itself.

• Bill Jones says

I agree. You did read my second sentence didn’t you? As far as referring to that type of photography as “Bokeh”, I guess I could have put “Really Sweet Looking Shallow Depth of Field Photography”.

4. Kristy says

These are LOVELY. do you have a short tutorials for these?
    I have the bokehs itself, but how do you put it on via photoshop?
    what are the steps you took to insert the bokehs on these photos?
    thankssss!

5. Angelo Sartore says

All lovely photos, but, I am amused by the term ‘bokeh’. This is nothing new! Still photographers & motion picture cameramen have been utilising long lenses & wide open apertures for a lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-ng time to create these moods. Out of focus backgrounds & foregrounds can hide many problems with favorable results. In some ways, shallow depth of field can be a by-product of lack of illumination for the shot or just using the available light to light whatever you are photographing.

I thought Bokeh was a spelling mistake! However, it cropped-up too often to be that. Yes, lovely examples of differential focus or bokeh if you prefer but it’s not new; it just has a new posh name!
    But yes, good pictures and examples.

The title of this compilation is true. Those bokeh shots are indeed inspiring. And I didn’t even know what bokeh is ’til I stumbled upon this site. Thanks!

8. KriS says

Nothing beautiful about any of them. Bokeh is a gimmick form “photographers” with poor compositional skills.

9. Vi says

Kris you probably wont read this, but if you actually looked at some pro’s macro photos, youll see that they take advantage of bokeh, and they don’t have poor composition.

10. Amazed says

Awesome!!

Stunning (in my opinion at least)!!

Perhaps, I’ll throw my camera and lenses in the bin, because these are the kind of photos I would to make but haven’t managed to do so ..

Great pictures. I love doing bokeh pictures with different shaped apertures. I use a Lensbaby with about a dozen different aperture shapes. Very creative and all done in camera.

Hopefully these photos don’t give people the incorrect impression that Bokeh only refers to turning background lights into circles. Depth of field control using the aperture and/or focal length of the lens creates out of focus areas that are rendered as various amounts of blurriness. The photographer can then use the blur to help achieve the look he or she is after. Nearly all of the above examples are the exact same effect, blurry circles representing distant point light sources, though Bokeh is a term that covers a much wider range of effects. Bokeh really refers to pleasingly rendered blurriness, out-of-focus areas of any kind beyond the depth of field (focused area) of the lens, that rather than detracts from, enhances the image. The “pleasingness” is of course in the eye of the beholder.

13. Josh says

Uhm for those trying to act like bokeh is w word or something The japanese originated the term in like…. 1910. Boke in Japanese means blur Americans just added an h