42 Awe Inspiring Photos of Extreme Weather

Mother Nature can really unleash some fury when she wants to. Its amazing how something can be so destructive and beautiful at the same time. Here are 42 examples of some of the most beautiful extreme weather photography I have ever seen. Enjoy.

Jim Reed
I wanted to start off with the king of extreme weather photography, Jim Reed. Jim’s photos are considered some of the best in the world. Make sure and check out his new book Storm Chaser: A Photographer’s Journey – http://www.stormchaserbook.com

Mike Hollingshead
Mike shoots some of the most incredible storms I have ever seen. Make sure and check out his site http://www.extremeinstability.com. He has a ton of terrific shots. Check out his prints also.

Eric Nguyen

Hurricane Ike

OKWeatherWatch

Jorn C Olsen

Woman in Snow

Ice Storms

Share your Work

For those who would like to share their extreme weather photography please feel free to join our flickr group and add your images to the pool. Make sure and tag your weather images with “TPA_Storm”. From the pool of images we will be selecting the best examples of extreme weather photography and showcasing them in a future article. This can mean some great exposure and your images will be inspiring photographers from around the world.

[raw]

[/raw]

Comments

Wow, I am still shocked by a lot of these. They are just incredible. I would love to know the locations of some of these, especially the ice storm photos. Where ever that is, I don’t think I want to live there. Nature can create some pretty incredible phenomenons. We just have to roll with the punches. Thanks

• Bill Jones says

All of these pictures are real. Its crazy how much danger someone will put themself in to get the shot. Check out the video of Jim Reed running up to the tornado. Crazy stuff.

2. Korea(Heo seok-hyun) says

Wow! This photo is very impressive! I live in South Korea has four seasons. South Korea looks so very beautiful. But this picture is seen as a kind of a disaster. I have not seen it once the weather is one of the ocean.

Great post thanks for sharing. Congratulations to the photographers, for these great shots! Storm chasers, please be careful and mindful of the danger out there; we can live without the spectacular shots but, not without YOU. =)

4. Donna says

Being from southern California I have NEVER seen anything like these photos in person. Totally awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing.

5. 3szt3r says

Cumulonimbus Mamatus… – and I’m still in the process of picking up my jaw from the floor…
    Thanks a lot for this collection! and for the blog as well!

OMW!! those lightning images are absolutely stunning! Especially the blue & purple sky with the trucks, from “extreme instability” – that’s the most beautiful lightning shot I’ve ever seen!!

I followed the link through to the site, but where can I find that exact image?

7. carolina says

wouuuuu impressive as our nature reacts … photographs are incredibly beautiful but also incredibly terrifying
    love from chile

8. JNB72 says

I’m a newbie to photography and some of these have blown my mind. AWESOME, but I now realize I have a lot to learn.

9. thalia says

i’m feeling so lucky and i think the nature likes me so much.the pictures are incredible and amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome and very scare selection there.
    Ice storm pics reminded me time when I tried to get my car out or similar weather conditions, luckily less icy though.

Fantastic composition, though some (if not most) look they spent much time in post-production (strips the “rawness”, imho).

Nevertheless, all are smashing photos in my book!

12. Fidel de la Merced, Jr. says

amazing shots! talk about being at the right place, at the right time! just incredible!!!

13. Becki says

Being from Florida I have never even had any concept of an ice storm – that is just crazy. How/what causes that, is it ice being blown in or just rain freezing on stuff?? Very curious since we don’t even get snow.

PS as everyone has said, the tornado and thundarstorm photos are mesmerising.

14. Brian says

Awesome pics, I love them all. Gotta have alot of guts to do what you people do. Thank you and God speed my friends

15. Andy says

Not to be too picky, but those pictures of “ice storms” are not really so. They are just pictures of frozen lake spray. But all of these pictures are great.