A rainy day can be depressing for those who prefer to be outside enjoying the beautiful sun and taking pictures without worrying about getting their gear wet. Rain can also bring out the desire to sit on the couch with a blanket, book, and a hot cup of tea so you can catch up on some needed relaxation. But before you get too comfortable, why not get out your camera and take some interesting photos of the rain on your windows.
Beads of water forming on glass can be an excellent formula for some great picture compositions. Just because you don’t have that golden hour light that we all crave for doesn’t mean you can’t take other types of photos. The rain brings a mood to an image that is hard to duplicate with any other type of weather so we should be taking advantage of rainy days as best we can.
Here are some suggestions for taking pictures of rain on windows.
- Traveling somewhere? Use your camera to document what’s outside through the rain smeared window.
- Flying is also a great opportunity to take pictures through the window while it’s raining.
- A unique type of self-portrait (or regular portrait).
- Focusing on the raindrops leaving the background blurry, or even the other way around.
- Heading to cool locations which would make great shots during the day, but also good rainy shots through something like a car window. An example would be shooting images of New York while taking a taxi.
- If you’re a wedding photographer and the weather is not cooperating, incorporate windows and reflections with the rain into some of your shots.
Create a list of ideas that you might be thinking of next time it rains. That way, when you wake up and it’s raining outside, you’ll know exactly what to do to get rainy window pictures. Here are a few more for your inspiration by some talented photographers who took advantage of the gloomy weather and windows.