30 Amazing Examples of Camera Toss Photography

Yes you read the title correctly, I said camera toss. There are people out there that create beautiful images by throwing their expensive cameras in the air with the shutter open. I for one don’t think I could just toss my dSLR up in the air and hope I catch it before it smashes into the ground. However I’m glad we have some thrill seekers that like doing this because I enjoy looking at the images they produce.

Here are some excellent examples to inspire you to go throw a camera too.

mtnrockdhh

mtnrockdhh

mick l

mabend

mick l

mtnrockdhh

1. the movement and light in these images are great

2. Your blog has a marvellous design and the photos posted here are amazing! Would love to know the trick!!!

3. Hev-Ding says:

Oooh that’s my pic! Thanks for posting, great site, I’m about to have a look around!

4. Aaron says:

Seems like risky business.

5. @todayinart says:

Pretty cool, but I won’t be throwing my camera around anytime soon.

6. Those are some truly stunning photos, but the lines and patterns in most of them seem too fluid and symmetrical to be a result of just tossing your camera up in the air and hoping for the best… (IMHO)

Maybe someone who’s tried this before could comment and share some more details on how these pictures are taken.

7. Jeremy says:

It’s all about tossing in a spinning motion. The fluid movement is what’s so incredible about it. I have done tosses with all kinds of light sources and all were no more than 2 second exposure. Awesome to be a part of this incredible collection of tosses!

8. ishbel says:

Thanks for the add, there’s some great pics here. In reply to Richard’s comment, most of us, when we toss our poor cameras, aim to spin the camera as tightly as possible while aimed at a suitable light source. The “neater” the toss, the more symmetric or spirographic the result. Any moving light source captured during a long exposure will produce these fluid lines assuming the light source or camera is moved in a fluid motion. . Hope this clarifies things somewhat for you :)

@Jeremy & ishbel
    Thanks for the comments and explanations.

10. Rad_Rosa89 says:

Really amazing!!

11. Wow….these are amazing. I just love the colours and patterns. I assume the settings are what helps make the different style of patterns.

Not sure I am brave enough to try this….can’t afford another camera at the moment!

Gail

12. Ankit says:

they are awe inspiring shots … but are too symmetrical to be coming from just a toss … i dont believe these shots are only a result of shots and shutter speed combination …

13. tanerokutan says:

amazing and interesting.
    thank you for sharing.

14. Andrew Boyd says:

OK, cool, but now I have to ask: so it takes two people to do this, a tosser and a catcher? Or is it up in the air? And most importantly, anybody totaled machine in the pursuit of this art form?

Andrew

15. ishbel says:

@ Andrew – I have broken a camera as a result. Just a little Casio compact – wouldn’t dream of tossing my dslr. Needless to say I haven’t done any tosses since but I’m itching to do some more :) Trying this with a big pillow underneath is a good idea.
    RIP little Casio

16. Arachne says:

Puzzling but interesting. I may have to try this. I’ll borrow a friend’s camera…;)

17. Beautiful works. I have to agree with a couple of the other posters, though. Being familiar with fractals, several of the patterns look just like fractals you see many of the stock and products sites, mine included. Regardless of how they were done, they are still beautiful works of art.

18. Nicholas says:

@bibek Unless you can adjust your cell phone camera’s exposure time, I don’t think you’re going to get much of an effect. =P

19. Almost impossible for someone to believe that these are photographic images! Excellent examples of that technique.

20. terry says:

wow. what brilliant images. Not at all what I thought it would be — this is soooooooo much better.

21. Theo says:

Beautiful shots, however, i will not try this with my camera!

22. Joann Mueller says:

WOW! I’m getting ready to buy my first DSLR camera and my hubby would probably kick me in the head if he saw me trying to do that! These images are so amazing I can only hope that I’ll be able to do this one day.

23. Freddie says:

Wow! just too good to be true. Amazing results though.

24. Sunny says:

Excellent collection with best quality camera toss photography, thanks for share this interesting post.!

25. Sunny says:

surprising to see camera toss photography.! amazing collection,thanks!